Proxies: get+fn vs. invoke

Dmitry A. Soshnikov dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 12:10:50 PDT 2010

  (I answer both -- Brendan's and Mark's letters for convenience in here).

On 20.10.2010 21:06, Brendan Eich wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Dmitry A. Soshnikov
>> <dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com <mailto:dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     OK, I'd like nevertheless to continue the discussion with
>>     possible decisions.
>>
>>     Here is a description of how [[Get]] method can work of a
>>     trapping proxy object (I took the basis from the proxy semantics
>>     page --
>>     http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:proxies_semantics#semantics_of_proxies):
>>
>>     [[Get]] (P)
>>
>>     When the [[Get]] internal method of a trapping proxy O is called
>>     with property name P, the following steps are taken:
>>
>>        1. Let handler be the value of the [[Handler]] internal
>>     property of O.
>>        2. Let get be the result of calling the [[Get]] internal
>>     method of handler with argument “get”.
>>        3. If get is undefined, return the result of performing the
>>     default behavior, by consulting handler’s “getPropertyDescriptor”
>>     trap.
>>        4. If IsCallable(get) is false, throw a TypeError exception.
>>        5. Let getResult be the result of calling the [[Call]]
>>     internal method of get providing handler as the this value, O as
>>     the first argument and P as the second argument.
>>        6. if getResult is undefined and [[HasProperty]](P)
>>

> [[HasProperty]] takes O as its receiver (this) parameter, so doesn't
> this break double-lifting?
> (http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:proxies#a_simple_membrane)

Hm.. Actually, I don't completely understand what is "double lifting" (a
proxied proxy?) as well as the whole membrane example (to many
wrap-wrap-wrap and a every time a creating of a new function), but I
think I should carefully read Mark's "markm-thesis.pdf" paper. Though,
your example from slides is simpler than on the strawman page (but there
too -- wrap calls wrapFunction, which in turn calls wrap again -- not so
easy to get from the first glance, but I'll look closer).

However, if someone can clarify it (the main and basic idea in "two
words" and regarding "double lifting" too) I'll be very thankful, 'cause
it's interesting.

Anyway, is there an alternative how [[HasProperty]] can work correctly?
I just though, that it's called by the "has" hook of a handler, which in
turn can "lie" of course (i.e. return true when a property does not
exist -- in such a case, noSuchMethod won't be called). For instance:

var object = {x: 10, bar: function () {}};

handler.get = function (r, name) {
   if (name == "foo") {
     return function () {};
   }
   return object[name];
};

handler.has = function (name) {
   if (name == "baz") {
     return true;
   }
   return name in object;
};

handler.noSuchMethod = function (name, args) {
   return delegate[name].apply(object, args);
};

Thus we have:

object.x; // get x, 10
object.bar(); // get bar, normal own real function call
object.foo(); // get foo, normal ad-hoc (returned by get) real function call
object.test(); // get test -> has test -> noSuchMethod test
object.baz(); // get test -> has baz "lied" returned true, noSuchMethod
isn't called -> TypeError

Possibly here there are some subtle cases which I don't see yet.

>>     is false and [[Get]] is activated with production CallExpression
>>     : MemberExpression Arguments then
>>            6.a Let noSuchMethod be the result of calling the [[Get]]
>>     internal method of handler with argument “noSuchMethod”.
>>            6.b If IsCallable(noSuchMethod) is true then
>>                6.b.I Let argList be the result of evaluating
>>     Arguments, producing an internal list of argument values.
>>                6.b.II Return the result of calling the [[Call]]
>>     internal method of noSuchMethod providing handler as the this
>>     value, O as the first argument and P as the second argument,
>>     argList as the third argument
>>        7. Return getResult.
>>

> Just because the handler's get trap returns undefined does not mean a
> noSuchMethod trap should be tried. A get trap returning undefined is
> the way to satisfy a get on a proxied property whose value happens to
> be undefined.

Oh, I had to wrote [[HasProperty]] on the first place, my fault that it
turned out confusing. However, first the result of get is considered
anyway. It may return normally undefined. But at the same time a
property may or may not exist. Thus, of course [[HasProperty]] of a
proxy can "lie". What I meant is (the case when noSuchMethod is called):

if (getResult == undefined) *&&* ([[HasProperty]] (P) is *false*)* &&*
(get is activated via: /CallExpression : MemberExpression Arguments/ ) {
   call noSuchMethod
}

Possibly there is a better scheme, don't see it yet. Maybe someone else
will propose.

>>     Thoughts?
>>

> Breaking double-lifting is a deal breaker.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, I'm not completely understand what it is.
Clarification will be appreciated.

>>     P.S.: And I want to ask to vote everyone on this list about
>>     whether this additional hook for proxy handlers is needed. My
>>     voice is first -- "yes".
>>

> This list is not set up for voting. It's not productive to try. Let's
> stick with technical issues such as breaking double-lifting.

OK. I completely agree, and this try wasn't just an appeal "let's vote
without technical discussion". However, I agree, let's avoid such an
approach.

>>     P.S.[2] In case of "no", we should back to all broken invariants
>>     and find the solutions.
>>

> Dmitry: I'm not sure what you mean here.

I mean the issues I described before in this thread. They may be found
in complete view here:

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2010-October/011974.html
(the case with an external lib for which I write a patch);
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2010-October/011947.html
(the previous one detailed lengthy description)

But if to summarize shortly then:

1. A proxy always returns a function (there is no ability to distinguish
a non-existing properties); -- this is the main issue, which described
in the first link above;
2. There is no ability to handler both: just a reading of a property vs.
reading with a calling -- a.length vs. a.length() and to handle them
differently;
3. To many additional code to maintain cache and invalidate it - for
just to have a noSuchProperty.

Thus, the main, repeat, first two. And the major is - the first one,
when foo.blaBla is always a function which breaks the checks if
(!foo.forEach) { .. an own implementation }

>> I vote "no", but I do have some sympathy for some of the goals.

Thanks. I accept the voice and appreciate it.

>> The only proposal along these lines I've seen that I like[*] is to
>> provide an additional flag parameter to the get trap. When false, or
>> if the get trap ignores the flag parameter, everything operates as in
>> the current Proxies proposal. When a method call is performed on a
>> proxy, (proxy.name <http://proxy.name/>(args) or proxy[expr](args)),
>> then the get trap is invoked with the flag set to true. Given that a
>> handler is only accessible from proxies, when a handler's get trap is
>> invoked with the flag set to true, the following invariants are
>> guaranteed:
>>
>> * The value returned by the get trap will be [[Call]]ed with its this
>> binding will be identical to the rcvr parameter of the get trap.
>> * The value returned by the get trap will only be [[Call]]ed, and
>> will not otherwise escape.

Yes, it's possible to have such a flag. The only difference from
noSuchMethod, that in the case of a flag -- we have a sort of *invoke*
-- i.e. hook for catching *all* invocations (meanwhile, noSuchMethod --
only missing). Also, it will complicate the *get* hook with /if-else/
branches.

OTOH, we still have a funargs/apply invariant with such a scheme. So, it
of course (if not a noSuchMethod) can be considered. Anyway, an ability
to differentiate in a catcher cases a.length and a.length() is /very
convenient and needed/. The implementation (whether get+flag (== invoke)
or just a noSuchMethod) it's a derived question.

>> IIRC, this proposal died on overhead it would impose on non-proxy
>> calls on JSC. As the JSC implementation evolves, perhaps this
>> constraint may ease. Let's keep our eyes open. But if not, I still
>> vote "no".
>
> I bet V8 peeps would object as well, but let's hear from them directly
> if possible.
>

>> [*] I forget from who. If someone knows, please post. Thanks.
>
> IIRC the third parameter to the get trap, telling whether get trapped
> from a callee context, was from Dmitry.

I just support it (in case if noSuchMethod will be revoked) as a "at
least" variant. First it was from Faisal Vali
(https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2010-May/011060.html).
However, I think that having combined get + flag will make get handling
complicated.

Dmitry.