Extensions in ES5 strict mode (was: No more modes?)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 14 12:38:34 PDT 2010

On Oct 14, 2010, at 12:23 PM, Erik Corry wrote:

> 14. okt. 2010 17.11 skrev Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com>:
>> Flush out means make developers find all such uses, and do what?
>
> Replace them with var, making whatever other changes are needed to
> keep the program running.

Most developers I know are not going to do this. At most they'll use SpiderMonkey's "strict option" and look for warnings.

Strict mode is not such a super-sweet carrot that people will rewrite to stop using 'let'. 'let' is pretty sweet too, and sunk costs being what they are (even if it's a sunk cost fallacy), inertia if nothing else favors the entrenched 'let' usage.

My point about the "strict option" was that we have a fallback. Here I'm just trying to point out that strict mode doesn't sell itself at any cost.