No more modes?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 14 11:15:15 PDT 2010

On Oct 14, 2010, at 11:09 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> Fixing this is possible too, if I can take liberties:
>
> <script-if type="application/ecmascript;version=6">
>   // new.js inline-exanded here
> </script-if else>
>  <script ...>
>  </script>
> </script-if end>

In case some on es-discuss are not up on HTML and browser implementations of it, this would fall back on the <script ...></script> content in old browsers, because the </script-if else> looks like an end tag for <script-if type=...>. The fallback content is then processed as not in any container (in this example). The </script-if end> is a stray end tag, ignored.

New browsers that understood this mock-syntax (I'm not seriously proposing it, just sketching) would extend HTML parsing and processing to drop the content between the </script-if else> and the </script-if end>.

Again the goal would be no-extra-round-trips-with-fallback-for-pre-Harmony-(or-pre-any-version) browsers.