No more modes?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 14 11:09:25 PDT 2010

On Oct 14, 2010, at 10:54 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> But what if one could write this instead?
>
> <altscript src="new.js" type="application/ecmascript;version=6">
>  <script ...>
>  </script>
> </altscript>
>
> Then we could have no round trips and fallback in the <altscript> container. This would entail no syntax errors, no extra round trips (beyond what current best practices motivate), and no freeze-the-future follies. Comments?

One comment I forgot (sorry, twitterific of me):

The fallback content, <script ...>...</script> could be inline or out of line (use src= in the first ...). However, the altscript tag would have to use src= and so its only script content would necessarily be out of line.

Fixing this is possible too, if I can take liberties:

<script-if type="application/ecmascript;version=6">
  // new.js inline-exanded here
</script-if else>
 <script ...>
 </script>
</script-if end>

but now I'm hacking outside of HTML and SGML, with this if/else/end structure. Perhaps there is a more standard way to do this (a marked section? ugh).