Extensions in ES5 strict mode (was: No more modes?)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 14 08:11:50 PDT 2010

On Oct 13, 2010, at 11:56 PM, Erik Corry wrote:

> The semantics for const in Harmony are likely to be silently different
> in Harmony from the semantics it has in non-strict current
> implementations.  (In particular the current const is hoisted to the
> surrounding function, whereas the one in Harmony won't, so the
> shadowing will be different.)

Agreed so far. IIRC const in Opera is just a synonym for var.

> Given this silent behavioural change it would be advantageous to flush
> out existing uses of const before Harmony arrives and gives it a new
> meaning.

Flush out means make developers find all such uses, and do what?

> Forbidding const in strict mode would seem to be a way to do that.

If only I knew what "flush out" means. Users may or may not rewrite complex const-using code just to enable strict mode.

The problem is even more acute for let-based code -- Mozilla JS (Firefox FE and add-on code) uses let heavily. It's a sunk cost, arguably a "good sunk cost" (mostly future-proof, even with let becoming like let* not hoisted to block top). I doubt people will rewrite to var (which requires careful analysis to avoid collisions where there used to be shadowing). They simply won't use strict mode.

But const or let, the idea that "use strict" is so attractive it will cause re-sinking sunk costs seems farfetched to me. We'll find out, though, because I do agree we should make Firefox's strict mode ban let, const, and function in block for now. I hope JSC and V8 do likewise with their IE-workalike function-in-block extension.

/be