Proxies: get+fn vs. invoke

Dmitry A. Soshnikov dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 13:00:51 PDT 2010

  On 11.10.2010 22:45, Tom Van Cutsem wrote:

>     Where this proposal is described? I didn't see it. I'll support
>     it. Even if the committee won't agree on noSuchMethod, it'd at
>     least will be great to have a parametrized get. Though, repeat,
>     IMO, a separated method for this case is better.
>

> I think the thread starts here:
> <https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2010-May/011060.html>

i agree with Faisal Vali in that thread (actually, I see that he talked
about similar lacks of of proxies get). I remember that thread, though I
included later, when was asking Mark "why are exactly proxies but not
__magics__?".

Also I think if some ideological sound design decision will be made,
some concrete implementation doesn't matter much (taking into account
the fact that the talk is about /new future feature/ -- which
JavaScriptCore and in particular Oliver Hunt will implemented (with
rewriting the logic of VM machine if needed) -- in order to conform ES
specification). I can't believe that JS programmers will hear the answer
on the question: "Why does JS has no such feature in the design?" as --
"Because JavaScriptCore don't wanna fix it". What is the reason that
this is a sensible?

So, do you see that such implementation of noSuchMethod has a major lack
with the case which is in JS for years -- with if (!foo.bar) foo.bar =
{...} ?

Dmitry.