Oct 1 meeting notes

Tom Van Cutsem tomvc.be at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 20:01:49 PDT 2010

> > A proxy having the right to get at an object's private field names is
> > equivalent to a proxy having the right to obtain all weak maps for
> > which the object is the key.  The security implications are the same.
> > If a proxy can do a faithful membrane without one of these rights, it
> > can do a faithful membrane without the other of these rights.  If a
> > proxy has no rights to get at an object's private field names, the
> > membrane will still work as follows:
> >
> > proxy[name] does not trap
> > object[proxy] calls a trap on the proxy
>
> Good point -- need a new trap here? Or is this get with an object-type
> property name?

 Cormac's paper on virtual values (linked from the harmony:proxies wiki
page, see <http://slang.soe.ucsc.edu/cormac/proxy.pdf>) already provides a
solution for this case:

obj[proxy] traps the handler's "geti(obj)" trap
obj[proxy] = value traps the handler's "seti(obj, value)" trap

We could argue about the precise names of the traps, but I like this design.

Cheers,
Tom