Codifying de-facto standards

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sat Nov 13 10:14:22 PST 2010

On Nov 13, 2010, at 9:09 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> As for codifying the rest of de-factp cross-browser JavaScript, that is the role of Appendix B of the ES5 spec. If Harmony includes a successor to appendix B for codying de fact ES5/non-strict behavior, I agree it might make sense to include Function.arguments, Function.caller, octal escapes, and the items at <http://code.google.com/p/es-lab/source/browse/trunk/src/ses/whitelist.js> that are marked "non-standard" or "whatwg".

Good point and link -- just to flatten links, here's the link from the es-lab wiki page to the whatwg wiki:

http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Web_ECMAScript

> Note that Harmony itself is a successor only to ES5/strict, so any such enhancements to the codification of ES5/non-strict should stay in an appendix.

Thanks for the reminder about Annex B -- I had shunned it in my mind ;-).

Annex B is quite old. Are the Y2K-buggy getYear and setYear still required by the web? Hard to say, I hope not, but we can keep them in Annex B forever. This does seem like the place, rather than a separate TR as I thought, to document other de-facto standards.