Negative indices for arrays

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Thu Nov 11 13:47:19 PST 2010

> So, do I understand correctly that you are against this feature and don't like it? (Just another question -- are you aware that it used in Python, Ruby, Perl, Coffee, other langs?)
The fact that other languages have a feature is not relevant, the problem is the drastic change to semantics of property access.  In a way that is incompatible with existing behaviour.  It is not syntactic sugar.  Syntactic sugar takes something that would fail to run in the past, and makes it do something "helpful" instead.  You want to take a syntax that does one thing, and change its behaviour entirely.

--Oliver