Typed Arrays and Endianness

Waldemar Horwat waldemar at google.com
Thu May 20 16:50:46 PDT 2010

Having unspecified endianness in the specification of TypedArrays seems like a show-stopper to me.  There are two alternatives here:

- If you do any I/O, you want the endianness to be specified.  Sending data from one process to another with a different endianness would get you into trouble.

- If you don't do any I/O, then the TypedArray is private to ECMAScript.  In this case there are programming techniques which will avoid the bulk of the cost of endian switching, so you don't gain much by leaving endianness unspecified in a language like ECMAScript.

    Waldemar