Specification Language

Arjun Guha arjun at cs.brown.edu
Wed May 19 17:40:44 PDT 2010

> I brought up your paper because it's good work. I wasn't criticizing it. But there's a difference between formalizing the operational core of a language and writing a language standard.

To be clear, we formalized much more than an operational core of the
language. We've formalized a  portion of the standard. We run and pass
portions of the Mozilla JS test suite, which is only possible once you
account for (some) standard library functions.

For example, here is Array.prototype.sort:

http://github.com/arjunguha/LambdaJS/blob/master/LambdaJS/src/BrownPLT/JavaScript/Semantics/ECMAEnvironment.hs#L169

(Claudiu apologizes for implementing insertion sort instead of
quicksort. He's really lazy.)

Arjun