modules proposal

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Mon May 17 11:07:00 PDT 2010

On May 17, 2010, at 10:30 AM, Kam Kasravi wrote:

> Thanks Mike, David.
>
> I agree with the conclusion that regex probably isn't the best way
> to tackle these problems.
> I'll summarize the use cases since it may apply in later
> discussions...
>
> 1. Is it possible to import parts of a module to avoid potentially
> large network payloads?

It's modules all the way down. You only import what you specify from
the module, but that doesn't affect downloading or indeed express the
module dependency -- the dependency comes from module declarations
creating bindings first, before any import from the module via its
bound name.

Network payloads are induced by URL requests that miss the HTTP-rules-
based cache. MRLs are not URLs, however, so there's an opportunity
here to coalesce load requests. See below.

> 2. Is there syntax that would allow the server to group or
> concatenate delivery of multiple modules within one request?

This is a good question. The grouping of modules for download should
be decoupled from how one declares modules, to avoid mixing concerns
and requiring refactoring or rewriting just on account of repackaging.
Module declarations allow ahead of runtime loading, but they don't
help coalesce requests.

Coalescing requests (for some value of request) could be pushed down a
layer, not specified as part of the ECMA-262 language. This serves the
decoupling requirement. Is it enough? A while ago Allen wrote about
separating "configuration management":

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2010-January/010686.html

Part of this was about version selection, but part of it was about
"assembly" structuring. It seems worth working through this, both with
a real implementation of simple modules, and with some thought
experiments.

/be