Proposal: Array.prototype.last()

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed May 12 13:17:24 PDT 2010

Agreed, we need a[-1] for a[a.length-1] syntactic sugar, or there's no
point. The Array slice method, among others, already does sensible and
Pythonic processing of negative arguments.

The way to provide syntax for negative indexes (if not Pythonic
slicing) is under a new version. But that would complicate the spec,
the various implementations, and the migration landscape for old code
(did this old code that I did not write, but that I'm paid to port,
use anything that evaluated to -1 as an array index?).

And such a strawman lacks a champion to write up the proposal and
carry it through prototyping and standardization. I've toyed with
slice syntax before, and may again, but I'm not that champion. So this
seems unlikely to make it past "straw" state.

/be