Proposal for exact matching and matching at a position in RegExp

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Mar 4 00:07:24 PST 2010

On Mar 3, 2010, at 11:44 PM, Steve L. wrote:

>> (If it's really a goal to create an entirely new RegEx (no p) class,
>> those things could be addressed there.  Although I think that
>> proposal
>> is problematic too since it is a burden on implementers to have 1.5
>> regex implementations.)
>
> Regarding "RegEx", I'm pretty certain Brendan was talking about a
> hypothetical new library (name unimportant) that the JavaScript
> community
> might create in the future. I don't think anyone has suggested
> adding a
> second regular expression class to the ES spec itself

Right. I was explicit about hypothesizing an ecosystem solution,
independent of the standard and predicated on fast JS engines. This is
not meant to preempt your great work making RegExp incrementally better.

We (by which I mean "you" with edit access from me ;-) should turn
your blog post into one or more strawman:proposals entries at http://wiki.ecmascript.org/
.