Syntax Proposal: Allow Java-like Object Literals after constructor calls to set properties on created objects.

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Jun 30 21:09:45 PDT 2010

On Jun 30, 2010, at 7:37 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> And you're right that attribute-property-missing -> undefined -> false has an effect here. If we had kept the ES3 negative names, we could have defaulted to false and Erik (I think) would not find Object.create a mistake -- but then the high-integrity-by-default fans would be put out. Those fans should speak up if they care to defend against the "mistake" charge.
>
> Fine. Had it defaulted to low integrity, that would have been a mistake. Erik & I know we disagree on this.

Allen seems to agree with Erik. Is this just a matter of personal opinion? The point that I don't see you responding to is that the Object.create defaults are opposite from what every other way of binding a property in the language uses.

Ok, that could be answered by arguing that Object.create needs different defaults for different use-cases from those other property-creating forms.

But then the current thread brought up a Rhino extension that does not use the high-integrity defaults. So here we are. What is the common case, in current best practices? Is it really high-integrity with opt-out?

/be