JSON parser grammar

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Tue Jun 22 19:20:31 PDT 2010

On Jun 22, 2010, at 7:07 PM, Dean Landolt wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:
>
> But that's the rub -- the JSON spec cannot be changed. It (intentionally) has no version number. ECMA could superset it -- ES-JSON, if you will -- which could specifically allow \t, but this could not strictly be considered JSON, and would break in many JSON parsers in the wild.
>
> Perhaps there's value in ECMA taking on such a task (they're in a unique position to get real traction behind a superset of JSON, and we all have a wishlist of JSON extensions). But it certainly wouldn't be JSON.

I just looked through a few of the json parsers listed on json.org, and of the sample I looked at all accept tab characters.  Which parsers don't?

As far as I can tell, all the major browsers accept tabs, as do many other json parsers, at brief inspection it seems that the defacto (vs. actual) JSON spec allows tabs.

--Oliver