Announcing TC39 ECMAScript Test Suite Project - Test262

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt samth at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jun 21 10:47:09 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
<Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com> wrote:
> The intent is a suite that tests an implementation against the actual requirement of the Ecma-262 standard. It will be based upon and similar to what you can already see in the Sputnik and ES5conform suites.  Those tests generally identify a specific requirement of a specific section of the spec. and then try to prove that the requirement is/isn't met by an implementation.
>
> Give that the standard specification itself  is not particularly understandable to the general public, it probably isn't reasonable to expect that all the tests of the specification would be understandable to the same public.
>
> However, reasonable understandability is a good goal.  What are some of the characteristics of the W3C suites that make them "acidic"?

I believe that the various "Acid" tests for rendering are what's being
referred to here [1].  I think the relevant characteristc is that
anyone can run them in their browser, and they display a visual
rendering of how "good" a job the browser does, making them into
easily-distinguishable markers of conformance to whatever is tested.
It's not clear to me whether this would be good for this test suite.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid3
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu