Announcing TC39 ECMAScript Test Suite Project - Test262

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com
Sun Jun 20 22:52:52 PDT 2010

At the last TC39 meeting we agreed to launch a project to develop an official ECMAScript specification test suite that developers and users can use to verify that implementations accurately implement the standard.  The hope is that we can integrate the various existing test suites along with new tests to create a single comprehensive test suite for the ECMAScript standard.

Because of the nature of Ecma's intellectual property policies, only Ecma members can directly contribute code to the project.  However, the project code will be BSD licensed and development will be carried out in a publically accessible manner.  The working name of the test suite is Test262 and I'll be serving as the initial project editor. The source code of the project will be hosted  in the TS39 repository at  http://hg.ecmascript.org  (coming soon) and issues will be tracked at http://bugs.ecmascript.org/report/15 .  In addition, I'm setting up a separate  test262-discuss mailing list for topics relating to ECMAScript testing and the Test262 test suite. Test262-discuss is open to the public. You can subscribe at t http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/test262-discuss

I'm now in the early stages of organizing  the project infrastructure and collecting initial code contributions from Ecma members. To kick things off, Microsoft is contributing the ES5Confrom test suite as well as a significant number of additional tests. Christian Plesner Hansen, leader of the Sputnik project , reports that Google will contribute their Sputnik code.  Other TC39 members have all been supportive of this effort and I anticipate that we will receive additional contributions from them in the near future.

So, if you're interested in ECMAScript testing subscribe to test262-discuss and join in.  After people have had a couple of days to subscribe, I'll be kicking things off with some of my ideas about how to structure and organize the Test262 suite. Please also share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Allen Wirfs-Brock