EcmaScript i18n API proposal

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Wed Jun 9 09:17:04 PDT 2010

Hi Nebojša,

I notice in your informal specification notation

*    //* *The base language code (typically a ISO-639 language code).*
*    // @type {string}
* Locale.language

which I assume means that instances of Locale have a "language" property.
However, this notation would more naturally suggest that "language" is a
property on the "Locale" constructor. We currently do not have any
established compact notation for saying what you need to say here clearly.
Unless anyone has a better suggestion, I suggest

 aLocale.language

I've seen that used informally among Smalltalk programmers and it seems to
work well.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Nebojša Ćirić <cira at google.com> wrote:

> We would like to propose adding i18n API to the EcmaScript standard (either
> as standard library or part of the language).
>
> Our current proposal is at EcmaScript i18n API<http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AW406aVETP5_ZGh0dHJxNXZfMGM4azV2a2Ro&hl=en> (open
> to edits). We will migrate the document to the proper strawman wiki page as
> soon as we get access to it.
>
> We feel that our current proposal represents the minimum set of objects and
> methods needed, but we could certainly extend it to cover number/currency
> formatting/parsing and possibly calendar support. Our main goal was to start
> with minimal proposal and get early feedback from the community.
>
> Please leave feedback to the proposed API either inside of the document or
> post back to the mailing list.
>
> --
> Nebojša Ćirić
>
> i18n team,