JSONNumber - optional decimal

Douglas Crockford douglas at crockford.com
Wed Jun 9 07:43:20 PDT 2010

On 11:59 AM, Oliver Hunt wrote:
> That said I think allowing '1.' (etc) makes sense as it's fairly standard across multiple programming languages, and I am unaware of any specific reason for disallowing it.
>
> In the long term I don't see changing the grammar to allow a trailing period as being harmful as it's a relaxation.  In the short term vendors that follow the spec may fail to parse content :-(

I think that would be a mistake. We have seen lots of tragic cases on
the web where if we allow deviation from good practice, then those
deviations will surely occur. In the long run, that could seriously and
unnecessarily impair JSON interoperability with non-JavaScript
endpoints. That might be worth considering if there were some
compensating benefit, but in this case there isn't one. Deviating from
the JSON grammar would be a bad tradeoff.