Clarification needed on 10.2.1.1.3 SetMutableBinding on a Declarative Environment Record

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Sat Jun 5 22:27:06 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 10:01 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2010, at 9:41 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>
> Am I misunderstanding something, or 2) was this the intended spec, or 3)
> are these three browsers all non-conformant in the same manner? If the 3rd,
> I'll file bugs on this. If the 2nd, should we add a correction to the ES5
> errata?
>

> Whatever happened to "don't break the web"? :-P
>
> The ES3 spec has no exception here. If ES5 introduced an incompatible
> change, we should issue an erratum.

+1. I suggest replacing the text I quote above with

If the binding is an immutable binding and S is true, then a TypeError is
thrown.

And algorithmic step 4:

4. Else this must be an attempt to change the value of an immutable binding
so throw a TypeError exception.

should be changed to

4. Else this must be an attempt to change the value of an immutable binding,
so

a. If S is true, throw a TypeError exception.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM