Modules: Name capture

ihab.awad at gmail.com ihab.awad at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 17:08:46 PDT 2010

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the slow reply -- was sick....

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM, David Herman <dherman at mozilla.com> wrote:

> Years of PL research and experience have demonstrated that explicit linking
> tends to be unwieldy and inconvenient.

That needs to be added to my reading list. Cite away! :)

> People can easily add version information to their modules with whatever
> protocols they like, and we don't need to enforce them. ...

People are already creating module systems with versioning information (see
CommonJS). We need to make the world safe for them.

   module Even = load 'even.js' with { Even: Even, Odd: Odd };
>    module Odd = load 'odd.js' with { Even: Even, Odd: Odd };

With concise object literals, would that not be:

    module Even = load 'even.js' with { Odd };
    module Odd = load 'odd.js' with { Even };

In my experience, explicit linking is the better-is-better solution that
> makes programmers' lives harder for not enough gain.

But didn't you hear? Worse is also worse:

  http://dreamsongs.com/Files/worse-is-worse.pdf