simple shorter function syntax

Brendan Eich brendan at
Fri Jul 23 10:32:55 PDT 2010

On Jul 23, 2010, at 10:27 AM, Oliver Hunt wrote:

[Good point about LL(∞) snipped.]

> *  To give you an idea of how important parsing is, the 280 North folk once told me that parsing made up 25% of the load time for 280 Slides.

Ollie, was that with browser-side Objective-J compilation, or with the server translating and feeding the Obj-J-lowered-to-JS code to the browser?

I have polled audiences at talks in the last year about shorter function syntax, see first two links at Results mainly for fun but somewhat informative (to me at any rate) were not resoundingly in favor of a new and much shorter keyword to use instead of function.

This was before was proposed, so I didn't ask the audiences to clap for its # syntax.

People like the expression-closure idea, although syntax needs to be hammered out. See