simple modules

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Fri Jan 29 17:13:35 PST 2010

We had a good discussion about modules at this week's meeting, and Sam Tobin-Hochstadt and I have worked out a strawman for a simple module system. I've posted a first draft to the wiki:

    http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:simple_modules

There are lots of examples to peruse at:

    http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:simple_modules_examples

which might also be a decent starting point to get a feel for the design.

This has a good bit of overlap with -- and is in many ways inspired by -- Ihab and Chris's work, but it has at least one major departure: modules in this proposal are not inherently first class values, although we do provide ways of getting objects that reflect the contents of modules.

This is just a draft, and we'll be revising it as we go along. But I'm happy to take any feedback people have. Also, please let me know what's unclear. I'll try to both clarify on es-discuss and revise the page accordingly.

Dave