typed array strawman proposal

Vladimir Vukicevic vladimir at mozilla.com
Tue Jan 26 10:43:05 PST 2010

Howdy,

At Brendan's request, I've just added a new strawman proposal for ES
typed arrays to the wiki.  This proposal comes from the WebGL group,
which needed a way of efficient access to and manipulation of native
machine-type arrays; once we came up with a reasonable baseline API, it
looked like something that would be generally useful as more interop and
performance demands are placed on ES.  "Typed arrays" is probably not
the best name; but that's probably an easy bikeshed.

The strawman page is at
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:typed_arrays and the
associated [rough] draft spec is available at
http://people.mozilla.com/~vladimir/jsvec/TypedArray-spec.html

Thoughts & comments appreciated; not sure if this is something that
could be considered for the core language, or for a "standard library"
of sorts -- feels more like something that should go in the latter.

     - Vlad