Mutating primordials and versioning

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Tue Jan 19 11:59:52 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:15 AM, William Edney <bedney at technicalpursuit.com
> wrote:

> For the record, here was our wish list for ES3 back in 2000:
>
> An interesting wish list

> - Getter / setter support
>
> - Choosing whether or not to make a property enumerable

As you said, done in ES5.

> - Remove support for automatic semicolon insertion (or you suffer from what
> one of my team has affectionately referred to as 'autosemicolonoscopy' ;-) -
> yes, that can be as painful as it sounds)

LOL! Integrated over time, semicolon insertion has caused me much more pain
;).

We kept trying to find a way to make it at least less painful in ES5-strict.
But we never came up with partial limitations on semicolon insertion we
could agree on, and we could never agree to remove it entirely. Since this
problem can be solved well enough by using external tools like JSLint, it
would be hard to lobby for a new opt-in for imposing this restriction.

> - A 'doesNotUnderstand' (i.e. 'noSuchMethod') hook (i.e. catchall
> setters/getters)

Have you seen <http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:proxies>? It
is on the agenda for the January meeting.

> - null / undefined as Real Objects, preferably singleton instances of the
> Null and Undefined type (this'll never happen for reasons previously
> discussed on this list, but it was a real wish at the time. Being able to
> use a catchall getter when a variable is null or undefined would serve the
> use case that this item was meant to solve).

Agreed on both counts. I'd prefer they be objects too, but that is not a
possible change.

> - Weak references

Have you see <
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:weak_references>? Also on
the January meeting agenda.

> With ECMA e5, we got the first 2 of those 6, so (to paraphrase Mr. Loaf),
> "2 outta 6 ain't bad" :-).

If things go as I hope, that may become 4/6 in an ES >= 6.

   Cheers,
   --MarkM