Module system strawpersons

ihab.awad at gmail.com ihab.awad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 08:08:12 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
> Even disk can be painfully slow-ish, and what if there's a cache miss?

Ok. Conversation reset! :)

I proposed this merely as a way to deal with a *specific* problem --
the problem that an infrequently used module must be loaded anyway.

This may be a bad idea and it is confusing the core issue, of how the
proposal I made is *intended* to be used and implemented. Let me
restate the base proposal:

     *   *   *   *   *

In the simple case, (import "foo") evaluates immediately to an
already-loaded module function.

To do asynchronous loading, I propose that the programmer use a
function, provided by the embedding, that allows them to initiate a
graph of "import"-ed modules and receive the root-most module function
eventually.

It is an open question whether we should standardize the asynchronous
form as well.

Ihab

--
Ihab A.B. Awad, Palo Alto, CA