eval operator with != 1 arguments

Mike Samuel mikesamuel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 17:49:17 PST 2010

2010/1/15 Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com>:
> On Jan 14, 2010, at 6:27 PM, Mike Samuel wrote:
>
>> Any thoughts on whether (eval(a, b)) should be an invocation of the
>> eval operator?
>
> What do current browsers do? It's an eval operator in Mozilla-based
> browsers. Seems to be eval (dynamic scope, not global scope) in Safari too.
>
> What would be the benefit of changing a future edition to make such an eval
> "indirect"?

I am not advocating changing eval in a future edition.

What I found confusing was that the previous section started with
    "When the eval function is called with one argument x, the
following steps are taken:"
and whether that was assumed by the following section.

But somebody here read 15.1.2.1 and concluded that eval with other
than one argument was the function.
I concluded otherwise.  I still don't know what the answer is?