Module system strawpersons

Kam Kasravi kamkasravi at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 15 13:32:07 PST 2010

Ihab, Mike - Thanks for the comments.

Yes, my examples confused definition with declaration, thanks for the corrections.

I think I still have some unanswered questions which I'll try and clarify as:

1. I'm still not clear what the module identifier represents.
    Something like 'a/b/c' could be a URI or associated with a URI.
    Commonjs implicitly adds a '.js' which suggests this maps to a REST construct.
    I think it would be helpful to clarify the above literal, the module.id,
    any relation to javascript namespace and a mapping to server resources since there is
    such an overlap with package management.

2. If the eagerness of the interpreter is determined by its implementation
    we could have lots of indeterminism across interpreters. There should
    probably be another construct that defines when resources are fetched.
    I'm not sure if the interpreter shouldn't be influenced by the developer.

Brendan, do you recall es4 where the concept of a unit was introduced?
There was also some discussion where management and security
where implicitly mapped to the '.' between identifier parts. I cannot find that reference.

Kam