Module isolation

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Mon Jan 11 19:42:16 PST 2010

Brendan Eich wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2010, at 4:37 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:
>> Kevin Curtis wrote:
>>> So, FF3.5 has resurrected the sandboxed eval with the second 'global'
>>> object parameter - as the closure peeking issue has been fixed. (The second
>>> param is a live object rather than a string).
>>
>> I gather, then, that there has been no change in Mozilla developers'
>> practice of adding unilateral language extensions without consulting
>> anyone, and in particular without consulting this list.
>
> Get your facts straight, and get off your high horse.

My facts are straight. FF3.5 replaced one extension with a different,
incompatible one. That's just as bad (worse, actually) as adding a new
extension. That it is intended to be temporary only slightly mitigates
the error.

> The only reason it was kept in Firefox 3.5 and 3.6 was for compatibility
> with add-ons and applications built on the codebase:

It wasn't kept; it was changed to something with different semantics
(but, nonsensically, the same API signature).

The behaviour in 3.5 and 3.6 isn't even documented
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Global_Functions/eval)
and the documentation incorrectly states that the second argument has been
removed. If you are going to make incompatible changes, please update
the docs at the same time (or ideally, in advance).