simple modules

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 3 16:50:44 PST 2010

It's still not clear to me what we are trying to name?

According to the proposal, a Module is a syntactic element that is part of an Application and Application can consist of multiple Modules.  A complete Application is presumably represented by an external container such as a source file so we will presumably "load" Applications, not Modules.  (If "load" is even the correct concept, I don't see any reasons  you couldn't build a Harmony implementation where you feed a bunch of such Application source containers to an Harmony compiler that generated a self-contained binary exe.  Where does the "loading" take place in that scenario?)

Are we trying to name the specification mechanism that is used to describe the semantic association between ImportDeclarations and ExportDeclarations or are we trying to name a hypothetical extensible mechanism of a Harmony implementation that is used to identify and located the external containers of Applications, or are we naming a specific semantic abstraction that we intend to reify that permits some sort of dynamic intercessions in the binding of ModuleSpecifiers, or something else?

(sorry, if I'm being a  pain about this but it is pretty clear that everybody is reading lots of implications into the names that are being thrown around)

Allen