simple modules

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Mon Feb 1 15:13:08 PST 2010

> Sounds good. A Context is configured with the objects (eg dom, xhr) that the developer wants to make accessible in the Context. These objects are bound to an outer lexical frame which all modules imported into the Context can access. Contexts are the means by which access to platform resources are mediated. (Or is that wrong. Hey - i'll wait for the strawman :).

In terms of mechanism, that's not exactly what I had in mind, but in terms of purpose that's the rough idea (specifically: "contexts are the means by which access to platform resources are mediated" -- yes). Creating new contexts would make it possible to restrict what modules can be imported, so you could create "pure" execution contexts in which you could evaluate code that would not have access to anything with interesting authority. This would of course be host-dependent.

Dave