New private names proposal

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Thu Dec 23 15:27:15 PST 2010

On 2010-12-23 21:02, Brendan Eich wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2010, at 12:11 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>
>> You've said this "apples to oranges" thing many times. I just don't get it.
>
> You've read the recent messages where it became clear only [], not the . operator,
> was ever mooted for soft fields on the wiki.

That's false; the examples at
<http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:names_vs_soft_fields>
show otherwise.

> And how [] can't be a local transformation, [...]

Indeed it can't, but I don't see the relevance of that to the
'"apples to oranges" thing'. We don't know whether [] will be changed
at all. (In the proposal to add a @ or .# operator, it isn't.)