death to style guidelines

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Fri Aug 27 20:16:12 PDT 2010

It's not practical to change the "skin" of JS this radically, but OTOH browser JS VMs are getting so fast that it *is* practical to compile CoffeeScript and other nearby source languages to JS. Heck, even Python -> JS in the browser is looking good, ignoring the standard library issue (http://skulpt.org/).

Your point, summarized as "Coding Style as a Failure of Language Design", was made recently by Robert O'Callahan. Perhaps you saw it?

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2010/07/coding_style_as.html

It is IMHO a good argument for language designers operating without backward compatibility and installed base constraints to consider.

/be