Allowing Date.now() return fractional as well as integral bits (for submillisecond timing)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Aug 6 13:50:28 PDT 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 1:27 PM, Paul Biggar wrote:

> According to Brendan's reading of the standard, this is allowed,

(Jason Orendorff first noticed this and pointed it out -- I had misread ES5 to require a TimeClip for Date.now.)

> partially due to Date.now() being underspecified. The question is
> whether this is a good idea, or if we should shelve it pending the
> nanoAge proposal, ...

The nanoAge proposal is from

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=proposals:date_and_time&s=nanoage#current_and_elapsed_times

and I believe Paul Biggar and Chris Jones are going to dust this off and make a Harmony strawman proposal from it.