Day 2 meeting notes

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sun Aug 1 11:37:40 PDT 2010

On Aug 1, 2010, at 11:29 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> And if the @ operand is not a proxy with an iterate trap in its handler?
>
> If the answer is to throw an error for want of an iterable, then some (allegedly, see shallowCopy) generic code will work well, while other would-be generic code will not.

I should have written "work well, in the sense of not copying a potentially large number of iterated values", but getting an exception instead usually means a hard stop. Existing code would not defend with try-catch and try some fallback logic.

Really, generic code is hard to write without more meta-programming control, both inspection and intercession.

That's what we are aiming at with proxies (including iteration).