three small proposals: the bikeshed cometh!

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Thu Apr 29 16:33:38 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> The JSConf audience poll did provoke someone to suggest "fun", and I
> mentioned "fn" (the ML family languages have both). Two letters or three
> might be few enough, and avoid the line-noise and can't-type-Greek issues.

Neither "fun" nor "fn" are reserved identifiers. They are short ascii
identifiers, so conflicts are virtually guaranteed. I don't see any
realistic way to make them keywords without either breaking the web or (in
your terminology) raising the opt-in migration tax too high. Am I missing
something? If there is a painless way to introduce short keywords that
weren't previously reserved, I'd love to understand that.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM