three small proposals: the bikeshed cometh!

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Thu Apr 29 14:25:28 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Mike Samuel <mikesamuel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I'm on the other side.  I think that all new productions that
> introduce a new keyword should be restricted.  We have enough
> semicolon insertion problems already!
> :)

+1. I think all new productions should be restricted whenever the lack of
restriction creates either an actual semi-insertion problem, or a visual
confusion about whether there may be such a problem.

Whether the infix "!" is used for binding or for asynchronous message
sending, it needs to be a restricted production so that

    <left-operand>
    ! <stuff>

is not confused with

    <expression-statement>;
    ! <unary-operand>

Specifically, infix "!" needs to prohibit a newline to its left.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM