names [Was: Approach of new Object methods in ES5]

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Fri Apr 23 14:17:06 PDT 2010

On Apr 23, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Asen Bozhilov wrote:

> Brendan Eich wrote:
>> On Apr 19, 2010, at 4:27 PM, Peter van der Zee wrote:
>>
>>> ES5 introduced the concept of directives, using perfectly fine
>>> fallback with no side effects. This was, as far as the above goes,
>>> perfect. Older implementations couldn't possibly trip over it
>>> since a string literal without anything else has no visible side
>>> effects.
>>
>> I should point out again that "use strict"; changes runtime
>> semantics involving eval and arguments in ES5, it does not merely
>> prevent programs from getting to runtime (i.e., it is not just
>> stricter syntax, e.g. forbidding 'with').
>>
> But ES5 strict mode is not change only runtime semantics.

Yes, we know -- I didn't say otherwise. Is this important to the point
I was making in reply to Peter?

> For example:
>
> [snip]

Yup. ES5 spec is out, anyone can read it.

I don't see the point in your reply yet. Excuse my bitchiness, but the
noise to signal on this list is rising and I object.

> When they do syntactical restriction in strict mode, why they are
> not remove automatic semicolon insertions?

Are you digressing to summarize strict mode, and then ask questions
about its design?

My point in reply to Peter stands, but here's a memory from the strict
mode discussions in TC39, to answer this question: we talked about
trade-offs in making it hard to migrate extant code into strict mode.
Removing ASI from strict mode was considered too big a migration tax.
That's it.