names [Was: Approach of new Object methods in ES5]

Erik Corry erik.corry at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 17:15:27 PDT 2010

2010/4/19 Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com>:
> On Apr 19, 2010, at 4:27 PM, Peter van der Zee wrote:
>
>> Basically, this means we cannot introduce new language constructs or
>> syntax because older implementations will trip over the code with no way to
>> recover. Furthermore, for various reasons it seems "feature detection" is
>> favored over version detection.
>
> When you want the new syntax, though, you're going to have to use opt-in
> versioning (see RFC4329).

Let's not go there.

The names proposal seems to be basically ephemeron tables without the
special GC semantics.

I'm a great fan of coupling proposals.  Putting a dozen uncoupled
proposals into Harmony looks like a recipe for a hodge-podge language.
 Finding powerful abstractions that solve several problems at once (in
this case weak hashes and private variables) feels much nicer.

--
Erik Corry