names [Was: Approach of new Object methods in ES5]

P T Withington ptw at pobox.com
Sat Apr 17 10:40:44 PDT 2010

On 2010-04-17, at 00:06, David Herman wrote:

>>> PS Still, I have my doubts about using any such mechanisms for versioning.
>>
>> The topic is not versioning in full, rather hiding properties added to built-in prototypes.
>
> I had the impression Tucker was thinking about versioning, but I may have imagined it. I guess I'm not clear on what desiderata the names proposal as-is doesn't address. Tucker mentions enumeration, but I'm not sure how important that is. It doesn't seem like a common need, but might be an interesting reflective operation.

I was just thinking about ways to use private names to create distinct namespaces (sets of names).  The benefit of names being "leaf nodes" would seem to outweigh being able to annotate names.  Introspection could be supported by just keeping track of the names in my namespace, although it would be more convenient if there were a capability to enable `for in` to iterate over "my" names -- that's what led me down the sub-type path.