Approach of new Object methods in ES5

Peter van der Zee ecma at qfox.nl
Fri Apr 16 08:17:47 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Asen Bozhilov <asen.bozhilov at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/4/16, Dmitry A. Soshnikov <dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com>:
>
> And I have a question. Why ES5 give control on values of internal
> attributes? What will improve that? "Save" augmentation of built-in?
> Good design of JS libraries?

If there was some way to refer to the internal properties then it'd be much
easier to create test cases and do introspective analysis on the state of
the interpreter. Although I'd prefer some kind of special method for (at
least) accessing them, maybe even a special method/mode because I'm still
unsure myself whether this could have dangerous (security related)
repercussions.

Then there'd be no more guessing or workarounds to check whether some
property has certain attributes set or unset. You could just query them
directly and verify their contents. It would make building a test suite of
any kind much easier...

- peter