Harmony: Mission Statement?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Tue Apr 13 12:14:01 PDT 2010

On Apr 13, 2010, at 2:35 AM, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

> Harmony: Mission Statement?
>
> Is there a central guiding principal, or mission statement?
> one that whilst perhaps not immediately achievable is useful and used?

Harmony was coined by me, publicized first here:

https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2008-August/003400.html

So I think I can reply on this topic.

In my opinion, a mission statement is not necessary for Harmony. More,
mission statements can get in the way. Everyone has one these days,
but you can smell the hypocrisy from a distance in notable cases. I
won't name them, and I don't mean the W3C here: although it is subject
to criticism for trying to reinvent the web as XML, among other
mistakes, its mission is unassailable. But that's a problem, too. How
many warm-fuzzy-generic-non-controversial mission statements do we need?

> However the wiki does provide Goals and Requirements [3] but these
> are only indirectly related.
> 3	http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:harmony

These are directly related, not indirectly related, to the odds of
Harmony succeeding in ES6 and probably ES7 specs that move JS forward.

A mission statement is an abstraction. These goals and requirements
are more concrete or even operational statements of intent, and of
legitimate means to ends, both of which are critical to agree on in
order for Harmony to obtain in Ecma TC39.

My two cents: we don't need too much highfalutin' posturing or mission
statement crafting. We do need discussion, including on live technical
topics on this list that may be suffering due to side- or back-channel
communications, or possibly just everyone involved being really,
really busy.