Web IDL Garden Hose (was: ECMA TC 39 / W3C HTML and WebApps WG coordination)

Allen Wirfs-Brock Allen.Wirfs-Brock at microsoft.com
Sat Sep 26 15:13:30 PDT 2009

>From: Maciej Stachowiak [mailto:mjs at apple.com]
>>On Sep 26, 2009, at 8:28 AM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
>>  Essentially,
>>the semantics of "browser ECMAScript" has been arbitrarily split into
>>two independently maintained standards.

>Is there any concrete concern on this front other than property access catchalls?

Every place the WebIDL ECMAScript binding "overrides" an ECMAScript specification
internal method is a concern as these are special case extensions to the ECMAScript
semantics.  As language designers we need to understand if these special cases are
exemplars of general deficiencies in the language that should be addressed.

In particular  now that ES5 is finished, WebIDL has a richer language to bind to then
it had with ES3.  We need a WebIDL binding that maximizes use of ES5 capabilities rather
than inventing non-standard (from an ES perspective) language extensions.

Allen