(function foo(){}).propertyIsEnumerable("prototype"): true or false?

Jeff Walden jwalden+es at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 3 19:36:01 PDT 2009

ES3, 15.3.5.2, says the prototype property of function instances is enumerable.

ES5, 13.2 step 17, says the prototype property of function instances is not enumerable.

Was this change intentional, and if so, can someone point me to discussion of the change?  I don't care one way or the other, but given past paranoia over incompatible changes, this change seems somewhat gratuitous.  Was this done to ease enumeration of properties on function instances, perhaps?  Maybe that's enough motivation, but I don't see natural use cases for doing so.

Jeff