Property Iteration in JSON serialization

Brian Kardell bkardell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 19:48:03 PDT 2009

Sure, but again... Without any changes it currently reads:

"The mechanics and order of enumerating the properties (step 6.a in
the first algorithm, step 7.a in the second) is not specified. "

Which isn't really necessary even currently (pre-5 I think) doesn't
accurately describe what seems to be the de-facto standard.  It should
be relatively easy to merely codify what is already implemented
everywhere which sounds like without any disagreement or "new"
proposals it could say something along the lines of:

"For objects containing no indexed properties the mechanics and
default order of enumerating the properties (step 6.a in the first
algorithm, step 7.a in the second) is specified as insertion order.
For reasons of historical compatibility, the default order of
enumerating the properties of objects which contain indexed properties
is not specified. "

That's not to say that no further effort should be made to take it
even further, but I for one would find something like the above a lot
more comforting and realistic than nothing at all if it comes to that.