Property Iteration in JSON serialization

Waldemar Horwat waldemar at google.com
Wed Oct 14 14:37:19 PDT 2009

Brian Kardell wrote:
> Uh oh... Patrick looking at the same parts as me reacting the same way
> (I believe older pre-5 docs also said something similar)...
> When Oliver said "All ES implementations are required to..." I assumed
> that I missed something in the new 5 docs - not that everyone just
> seems to have implemented roughly the same thing...
>
> Is it required - or is it not?

It is not required.  We were planning to make it required for ES5 but it turns out that implementations do not match each other and implementations do not follow insertion order for some kinds of properties such as things that could be used as array indices.  Requiring insertion order would make iterating over arrays weird.

    Waldemar