Strategies for standardizing mistakes

Mike Shaver mike.shaver at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 16:05:03 PDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood
<david-sarah at jacaranda.org> wrote:
> I agree with Maciej. The implementation-defined operations have clear
> specifications of their parameters. I think that it is highly undesirable
> to adopt an interpretation in which they can have arbitrary additional
> inputs depending on the context in which they are used.

If they didn't depend on the context in which they are used, they
wouldn't need to be host objects, right?  The whole point of the host
object is that it knows things about the host (what mode it was loaded
in, what privileges the context offers, what the user's preferences
are) which aren't within the scope of the language proper.

Mike