Presentation on modules

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sat Nov 7 11:10:21 PST 2009

So (as was clarified at the meeting) the Caja work is quite
informative, but we are not looking at any Harmony module system that
requires ahead-of-time code analysis and transformation before code
reaches the browser.

The alternative for Harmony is a syntactic special form, an import
directive for example, that can be analyzed when the program is parsed
(not executed), so the implementation can preload all dependencies
before execution to avoid blocking on an import (or a later data
dependency), or else an awkward non-blocking import to preserve JS's
run-to-completion execution model.

Async (non-blocking) import functionality (a runtime API) is good too
but it should not be the only way, or the common way.

There's more to say about modules but I'll let others speak up.

/be