Catchall proposal

Mark S. Miller erights at
Wed May 6 13:30:00 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at> wrote:
> [...]
> This is a big topic, I'll save it for another day.
> [...]
> But again this is a bigger topic than catchalls and I will shut up for now.

Language design is, among many other things, a form of search in a
large combinatorial space where we can only afford to evaluate a small
fraction of states in any detail. One of the best heuristics when
doing backtracking search is "make the most constrained choices

So *please* don't shut up for now. IMO, these security issues are the
most important we face. But even for those who don't share my sense of
relative importance, security are also the most constraining, and so
should be addressed early.